Welcome

So who would have guessed this? That my first blog would be about breast cancer? Surely not me! This was certainly not part of my life plan for my late 30's, but it's here now so I've been forced to dig in. The response to my health news was AMAZING! The tidal wave of support I received from family, friends, neighbors and former strangers has made all the difference in being able to take on this challege. As many of you said in your emails, cards and phone calls, this news is shocking to hear....but there are positives to the cards I’ve been dealt. They found my cancer early enough to cure me, and I will not only survive this but I will come out stronger for having endured it. While this whole experience has been surreal, you cannot image the amazing life moments I’ve experienced in the last few weeks, as I am seeing life quite a bit differently than I did before hearing the word cancer. I titled this blog right after hearing I had breast cancer, a cancer I thought was much simpler than I now know. So while my initial silver linings have changed quite a bit over the last few weeks, they are still there and are in some ways even better now, and I hope to share them with you along my journey! GAME ON!

Me & Bri

Me & Bri
Me & Bri

Favorite Quotes:

A Woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Shared by Beth Taylor- Thank you Mrs Taylor- I love it!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

So I was hypnotized yesterday....

for this first time EVER!  it was very cool....I didn't think it would 'work' but it sort of did.  He made me take off my head scarf and show my bald head to everyone- just kidding!  that would be weird!  It did take me a while to stop questionining it, and to turn off that little voice that kept asking me if I was really thinking it would work. 

The session I went to was at the Wellness house in Hinsdale- it's a cancer support center that offers support groups, exercise, education, stress management, and similar.  A very cool place- the house was donated and it's AMAZING!  It was a group session with 25 people, all wearing headphones during the hypnosis part, and it was pretty crazy how relaxing and unique this experience was.  A lot of the people there go to this group session regularly and some see this doctor 1:1 as well. 

here is the description of the session from the Wellness House...
Wellness Through Deep Hypnosis
Dr. Scot Giles, a renowned hypnotherapist, guides the participants through a self-hypnosis experience developed to help release pain and facilitate healing. The group gathers in the Great Room and sharing of ones cancer journey is encouraged. Following the introductions the participants utilize headphones provided by Dr. Giles in order to benefit from a one on one hypnosis experience which is channeled through each headphone as Dr. Giles speaks into a recording system.

and then of course my description and take on the experience........ 
Dr Giles explained that what most people think of when they hear medical hypnosis is for psycotherapy, however that is not what he focuses on in his practice. Instead he focuses on hypnosis to alleviate physical pain and symptoms associated with conditions patients are dealing with.  He used the example of the case of multiple personalities to explain how this works. There  have been many studies on patients that have mulitiple personalities, and often times the different personalities have different physical issues.  so one man may be healthy as one of his personalities, but may have a liver issue in another personality.  In this case the doctors running the study would test liver function when he was in his different personalities, and had evidence that the liver functioned differently when depending on who he was that day.  The subconscience of these different personalities was actually able to impact the physical reality in this person's body.  The point being that your mental state and attitiude can influence how your body responds to different conditions you have.  For cancer patients this is huge. There are tons of studies that attitude makes all the difference in treatment, so I am willing to give this a try... and am hoping my subconscious is as optimistic about my full recovery as I am  (yep...now I sound NUTS!!!!)
As it turns out, there was an article in the NY Times on this last Friday if you are interested (and I think it explains it better than I ever could...

It was a pretty cool experience.... and while I can't say for sure I was 'hypnotized', I can say I was in a very deep state of relaxation and was arguing with mysefl in my head as he was counting from 1 to 10 to bring us out of it, as I didn't want to come out of it but had to ... very bizzare...very cool.... I am going again next month to do it again!  I'll let you know how this all plays out....


6 comments:

  1. The hypno sound interesting and the wig looks fabulous, Mickie. I love your positive outlook. You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mickie- Hey- Long time no talk! Cheryl Wickstrom forwarded your blog to me. Sounds like a difficult couple months, but with your usual and amazing humor, you seem to be doing so well. In fact, you are inspiring me to think about life a little differently! Good luck with everything, although it doesn't sound like you need it! Keep up that wonderful attitude and laugh your spectacular laugh loads- it is good for the soul. Miss you and thinking of you!- Julie Shepherd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mickie, I don't know if you remember me, but I was a pledge class sister back in the day. Heard your news through a string of AOIIs. Best of luck with everything you're going through. It seems you have the right attitude and outlook, so keep it up! I'll be thinking of you. --Laura Hansen Kaplan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mickie! I am getting excited for the Y-Me on mom's day. I got my shirt and I am looking good - almost as good as you in the new gorgeous wig. I am glad to hear chemo is working. Wellness House is absolutely amazing. Jim and I had people donate to Wellness House instead of give us gifts (back in the day!) because we felt so strongly about their mission. I am so happy you are taking advantage of all they have to offer. I hope to see you soon! You are in my prayers!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mickie, "uncle Gil" just recently told us of your news. The boys and I have been praying for you every night since then, and we will continue.
    Your blog is wonderful, thanks for sharing so much with everyone. With the support of your family and friends, I know you can beat this cancer.
    Pray and pray some more as you go through all of this. We'll definitely be praying for you!
    Cousin Steve Stevepeds@kidzmd.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mickie:
    I've been following your blog for about two weeks now and trying to find the best way to contact you without taking up too much of your time. I was very sad to hear about your cancer. My family is actively praying for you and sending you our positive energy from Costa Rica.

    I do know one thing. You have the right personality to beat this or any challenge that comes your way. You are a winner. You alwasy have been and you alwasy will be. Mickie Spangler will not be knocked down by a beatable illeness. Like every other aspect of your life, you will do this successfully and will come out of it with a new understanding of life and family and with an entirely new set of goals.

    I have seen people win this battle and lose this battle. If you keep your spirits up, you will win. From reading your blog and seeing your photos, I am quite certain that you have alread won.

    I wish that I could be there to see you. Christine and I have been discussing a trip and she may run the Chicago marathon in October. Know that we are thinking about you and are willing to help in any way that we can.

    Steve & Christine Grubba, Shannon and Charlie

    ReplyDelete