Welcome

So who would have guessed this? That my first blog would be about breast cancer? Surely not me! This was certainly not part of my life plan for my late 30's, but it's here now so I've been forced to dig in. The response to my health news was AMAZING! The tidal wave of support I received from family, friends, neighbors and former strangers has made all the difference in being able to take on this challege. As many of you said in your emails, cards and phone calls, this news is shocking to hear....but there are positives to the cards I’ve been dealt. They found my cancer early enough to cure me, and I will not only survive this but I will come out stronger for having endured it. While this whole experience has been surreal, you cannot image the amazing life moments I’ve experienced in the last few weeks, as I am seeing life quite a bit differently than I did before hearing the word cancer. I titled this blog right after hearing I had breast cancer, a cancer I thought was much simpler than I now know. So while my initial silver linings have changed quite a bit over the last few weeks, they are still there and are in some ways even better now, and I hope to share them with you along my journey! GAME ON!

Me & Bri

Me & Bri
Me & Bri

Favorite Quotes:

A Woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Shared by Beth Taylor- Thank you Mrs Taylor- I love it!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Let's hit the city & make a difference on Sunday, May 8th! Y-ME Race at Your Pace for Breast Cancer!

I hope you can join me for a fun morning in the city on May 8th.  If you've yet to take part in a fundraising race or walk, then you should try it. In addition to the swarms of people taking part, there is always food, entertainment, amazing lake Michigan views and such an incredible amount of energy from the participants and the volunteers.  I have been taking part in these for years, raising money to support various organizations, always linked to a friend or family member.  I have done the American Cancer Society walk and roll several times and love it!  For the first time, I am doing it for something directly impacting me as well, and I hope you will join me.   

Please join the Mickie Longstocking Team on Sunday, May 8th at 8am in Grant Park, Chicago for the Y-Me Race at Your Pace in support and celebration of the breast cancer community.
Walk 1 or 3 miles... Or, run a 5k. Up to you!

To join the Mickie Longstocking Team, visit: http://www.race.y-me.org/mickie
I'd love to have you join me for the walk.. but if you are up for running go for it! Maybe i'll be running in it next year myself.  If you can't make it on May 8th, please consider a donation to the team or to one of the walkers/runners on my site.  Our goal is to get more than 30 people on our team and to raise over $5,000! 

We hope to see you there! Costumes encouraged! I am going to wear pippi style socks & red braids, but you can come as yourself as well.  I am also bringing the whole family as the kids always love doing these walks as well. 

A HUGE thanks to my cousins for planning all of this - Lisa, Patty, Chris- you guys rock!





No comments:

Post a Comment