Welcome

So who would have guessed this? That my first blog would be about breast cancer? Surely not me! This was certainly not part of my life plan for my late 30's, but it's here now so I've been forced to dig in. The response to my health news was AMAZING! The tidal wave of support I received from family, friends, neighbors and former strangers has made all the difference in being able to take on this challege. As many of you said in your emails, cards and phone calls, this news is shocking to hear....but there are positives to the cards I’ve been dealt. They found my cancer early enough to cure me, and I will not only survive this but I will come out stronger for having endured it. While this whole experience has been surreal, you cannot image the amazing life moments I’ve experienced in the last few weeks, as I am seeing life quite a bit differently than I did before hearing the word cancer. I titled this blog right after hearing I had breast cancer, a cancer I thought was much simpler than I now know. So while my initial silver linings have changed quite a bit over the last few weeks, they are still there and are in some ways even better now, and I hope to share them with you along my journey! GAME ON!

Me & Bri

Me & Bri
Me & Bri

Favorite Quotes:

A Woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Shared by Beth Taylor- Thank you Mrs Taylor- I love it!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chemo Sucks & Other things of late

So... it's day 6 after chemo - round 2 turns out to be very similar to round 1, except less nausea!  I credit that to my lovely acupuncturist at Northwestern- thank you Wendy!   I took notes on how I felt both rounds, and my chemo seems to go like this- I feel fine on chemo day- I might even say I have fun while there- the chemo suites are nice, I get to read, have a fun lunch, watch movies- it really isn't bad.  treatment day plus 1 is fine too- that was last Friday. turns out it was Brady's very FIRST EVER hockey game so he wanted me to go and I wanted to go- I was a little tired but nothing crazy, so I donned my lovely wig and went- it was awesome!  Seeing him go from learning to skate, to picking up some puck handling skills, to actually switching in and out of the game in his line (I think that is what it's called?! this is all new to me!  Pitbulls in lipstick here I come! SMOOCH!)  It was awesome to see him out there doin his thing, and they won! 

So then the fun continues- we had purchased tickets to a district 58 fundraiser,
a while back, and had a the sitter lined up just in case I was up for it, had the wig on and make up done already, so Bri and I went to the fundraiser 45 minutes late.  We didn't want to miss as it was the 2nd City Touring group, of which we are huge fans. So we came late, bought some split the pot tickets on the way in to our seats- AND GUESS WHO WON!??!!!  I did!  I was out chatting in the lobby with Liz after intermission so I missed the whole thing, brian checking the tickets, going on stage, accepting the cash, etc- so I feel like some good charma was coming our way that night!  I'd like to tell you we were going to spend that on a new guitar and some long over due 'real' cowboy boots for me, but Uncle Sam is hanging out here this week with his big palm outstretched, so we are going to hit him first and then shop later! 

Saturday I felt good too, BUT THEN on Sunday the 'side effects' hit- mainly just extreme fatigue. It was EIGHTY degrees here on Sunday so it was hard to feel cranky, but I was tired so I had a picnic lunch out front and then took a nap in my zero gravity chair- all in all not a bad day!  The side effects remain- I am still pretty darn tired, and some of the stuff from round 1 is now resurfacing again ( ear pain, sinus pain, headaches, sore throat) but these are manageable. I am hoping today is my last down day and then will spring back.  With round 1 I was 'almost' back to normal on day 8 after treatment.  I am hoping to be good to go tomorrow as my neighbors invited us to a skybox at the Bulls Game and I can't recall the last time I was at a skybox at the United Center (oh, yeah, actually NEVER) so I am hoping to feel well enought to attend and enjoy (thanks kara and boze!) 

The kids are doing well, except when I forget to put on a wrap or wig. I kind of look like Billy Corrigan from the Smashing Pumpkins with my now shaved head... sorry billy- you look MUCH better but there is a resemblence- I will post once I move my photos off my camera.  Maggie says I look like a boy, and yes, she is right , I do . I in fact resemble my nephew Nicholas quite a bit, and he is a handsome young man.   So as long as I remmeber to put on a hat  or wrap, all is good.  On sunday I woke from a nap and had a message to deliver to a friend in the backyard, and I opeened the door to yell to him to go home for dinner, when Brady starts yellling 'bald eagle' 'bald eagle' - so I am literally on the back deck trying to see the bird up above...when I realize he is yelling 'baldy' 'baldy'... ie: mom- get something on your head!  It was quite funny!  maybe you had to be there....

that's all from the chemo front for now.. I have to head up to work.  I am on sporadic short term disability from work these days, so working part time as tolerated with treatments. I am lucky to work for such a great company- Accenture overall, and the folks I work with direclty, have been AMAZING in supporting me and providing anything and everything I need during this time. I love my job and having the support from them during this difficult time has been amazing.  It really helps to have something else besides cancer to focus on when I am feeling good.  Signing off......

2 comments:

  1. Ok, seriously?!?!?! LOVE Brady's sense of humor!!!! Hope you are feeling better today!!! Always thinking of you, lady!!!! Big Big hugs from all of Team Gray!!

    Love,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mickie, I read your entire blog and although I'd heard several of the stories from you over the phone, I'm pretty blown away by your good humor and attitude in the face of all this stuff. As several of your pals here at Accenture have mentioned, if there was ever a person who could run full-steam directly at such a challenge, it's definitely Mickie. So, keep it up and know that everyone at work is counting on a shutout in the Mickie vs. cancer battle.

    Your colleague & pal,
    Todd

    ReplyDelete