Welcome

So who would have guessed this? That my first blog would be about breast cancer? Surely not me! This was certainly not part of my life plan for my late 30's, but it's here now so I've been forced to dig in. The response to my health news was AMAZING! The tidal wave of support I received from family, friends, neighbors and former strangers has made all the difference in being able to take on this challege. As many of you said in your emails, cards and phone calls, this news is shocking to hear....but there are positives to the cards I’ve been dealt. They found my cancer early enough to cure me, and I will not only survive this but I will come out stronger for having endured it. While this whole experience has been surreal, you cannot image the amazing life moments I’ve experienced in the last few weeks, as I am seeing life quite a bit differently than I did before hearing the word cancer. I titled this blog right after hearing I had breast cancer, a cancer I thought was much simpler than I now know. So while my initial silver linings have changed quite a bit over the last few weeks, they are still there and are in some ways even better now, and I hope to share them with you along my journey! GAME ON!

Me & Bri

Me & Bri
Me & Bri

Favorite Quotes:

A Woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Shared by Beth Taylor- Thank you Mrs Taylor- I love it!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

That's What Friends are For- Thanks Dionne!

So who knew that Dionne Warwick could make me cry ?!?!?!  That was Mother's Sunday morning at the Y-Me race in Grant Park.  As part of the opening ceremonies, team Mickie Longstocking, 100+ strong, was invited to help initiate an audio flash mob.  I was so excited for the audio flash mob, and thought the song choice was iffy when I first heard it... they chose Dionne Warwick's "That's What Friends Are For".  But then there I was at the pre-race gathering bawling like a baby by the end of the song, singing armn in arm with my mom, cousins, family & friends from all stages of my life. The words in that song rang so true to me, particularly at this moment in my life.  But crying aside, IT WAS AN AMAZING DAY at the Y-ME RACE!  I had a most fabulous Mother's Day and was touched by all the Pippi's that came out to support me. We had gorgeous weather to do the walk and run, along with 30,000 of our closest friends. And they raised over $3million!  Our Mickie Longstocking team raised almost $11,000- Thank you so much for joining me in fundraising for this great cause!  

The week before the Y-Me race was a rough one- it was just following my 3rd round of chemo on April 28th.  Round 3 made the first two rounds look like a cake walk, and I was pretty much down and out for the full week.  I am hoping it was the outlier, and my final three chemo treatments will be better, but time will tell.  Aside from the normal chemo symptoms, round 3 had added bonuses.  I developed a chest cold due to my immunity being compromised, and then lost my voice for nearly a week!  Having no voice made it hard on all fronts... the kids ran wild, I couldn't communicate with anyone on the phone, could barely talk at the Y-Me race... needless to say, I am happy to have it back!  BUT the BIG KICKER was the intense hot flashes & sweating I had all week!  At first I thought I was getting sick, maybe the flu, maybe a fever, but I wasn't running a temperature. When I saw my doctor that week for my weekly infusion, I learned I was in fact having hot flashes; included in the 10 page list of potential side effects of chemo is  temporary early menopause, and I wasn't lucky enough to skip that one.  Going through darly menopause at 39 is NOT going to make the final list of Silver Linings for sure! The hot flashes have subsided, but I am not pleased with this latest development, but I am told it's usually temporary and I'll get to go through menopause once again later in life!  All my new side effects, coupled with the usual fatigue, nausea, dry mouth, dry skin, and acne, I was having a VERY ROUGH week.

Even on Mother's Day morning I still didn't have much of a voice, but I woke up in a FABULOUS mood and was excited to get to the race village. At 6:30 am the Moore's left their hotel and we made our way across the loop to Grant Park.  I was shocked to see the swarms of people all over the Y-Me village that early in the morning.  Elated, overwhelmed, nervous, excited.....I felt a rush of emotions as I walked through the Y-ME village to find my tent..... I had to stop for a moment to soak it all in, take a few deep breaths and muster up some MOXIE to embrace the day!   And what an AMAZING DAY it was!!
When we arrived at the Mickie Longstocking tents we were greeted by tons of friend, family and neighbors who had all made the early morning trek to walk with us- it was an amazing feeling walking down the row of tents towards the row marked "Mickie Longstocking"with that surreal feeling coming on again that all this was 'really happening', that I really do have quite a journey ahead of me still, and I am finally featured on a t-shirt, with my name on signs hanging above, but not quite for what one would imagine typically.   After the I'd had, this gathering of support gave me just the boost I needed to lift my spirits.  I had people that flew in to spend the morning with me, cousins that drove several hours to be there, surprise guest appearances from college friends.....and a sea of Mickie Longstocking shirts.  I had no idea so many people had ordered them!!  My cousin Lisa made the Mickie Longstocking t-shirts, and they look so much like me that zazzle sold over 75 of them.  Add in the orange wigs and braids, and we were a silly looking group.

The race route was packed.  I walked a speedy 30 minute mile, over 90 minutes to do the full 3 miles, mainly due to crowds, to continually stopping to take pictures, having to find my kids & hubby, and stopping to greet late arrivals.  Afterwards a lot of us stayed around and cracked open coolers and snacks, and had a picnic at 9:30 in the morning, soaking in the sunshine in the middle of Grant Park.  The last few stragglers headed over to Milennium Park to get into the water there.  And my cousin Mary who came in from Florida got to see the famous 'Bean'.

As of today, Sunday May 15th, I am feeling pretty good. I am still more tired than usual, but my voice is back, my chest cold is almost gone, and I'll get 4 or 5 days of feeling pretty good before round 4 comes this Thursday.  My dear friend Jen Clarke is coming in town to go with me for chemo, so that will be a ton of fun to hang with her and catch up in person!  Can't wait to see you Jen!!!!

Below are some photos of the Y-Me race, and a whole ton can be found at these sites below too.  Check out how adorable Brian is in his orange braids; those were to be Maggie's but she was not happy being woken up early and didn't wear them, so like a trooper, Brian 'went Pippy' with me!  Check out all the other Pippys in those photos- how fun are you all??!!!!??!!!!!  
Lots of Thanks and Love for all your Support!!!!!  

I am still seeing my face on t-shirts around town and it really lifts my spirits- THANK YOU does not come close to expressing my gratitude for all the support I've received.





PHOTO LINKS:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.214826178542297

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2048531257441.2121864.1369242727

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002415752018&sk=photos














And my sister's baby, Fiona Margaret Ritchie- only 1 week old, getting her Pippy look on. I LOVE YOU BABY FI !



And lastly, many have recently asked where "Mickie Longstocking" came from.  Here is some of the text of the email I sent out on my way out the door to my first round of chemo!  

Subject:  Pippy is Ready to Roll!


I am oddly calm this morning, but as they say ignorance is bliss. I am hoping I am one of those lucky ladies who has minimal side effects, but I guess time will tell. As I was getting ready, I attempted to put my hair in a pony tail, but it wouldn't stretch (this was due to my self haircut on Friday; I look like a chia pet when my hair is dry). Then I tried barrettes, and looked like I was Maggie/4. Then I tried clips and all the bathroom had to offer. So instead of washing my hair like a normal person, I have installed two pippy long stocking style braids as I head to battle this biatch! I look utterly ridiculous but maybe that will bring some laughs as folks wonder how this young'in with braids is getting chemo today :)

Think of me- Pippy- as I head to battle.

Mickie


3 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! What a great crew you had gathered for a beautiful day! Sending you good thoughts that this week's treatment is easier on you & then you are over the halfway point-woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, congratulations to Tara on the arrival of beautiful Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mickie, I check every day to see if you have a new Silver Lining. You have shared some very personal moments, along with some amazing insights in your battle with the big C. Em and I pray for you several times each day, we love you so. (Also prayers for Brian, Brady, Connor and Maggie.)
    We loved being Pippi's for a day with the Mickie Longstocking team. Hope you enjoyed the photos and video we sent from the Y-Me event.

    ReplyDelete